House fire leaves two homeless

The Shenandoah Valley-Herald

MOUNT JACKSON — Heavy winds and dry conditions fueled the spread of a house fire in Mount Jackson on March 23, according to the Shenandoah County fire marshal.

David Ferguson said the fire at 10694 Old Valley Pike was reported at 5:38 p.m. and that fire and rescue crews from the county and surrounding towns got the blaze under control two hours later.

Ferguson said the house’s owners, Daryl and Yvette Hulvey, smelled smoke from inside the house early in the evening.

“The saw a fire on their side porch and they attempted to extinguish it,” he said. “Heavy winds were a factor in how fast it spread in the structure.”

Ferguson said county fire crews believe the blaze was accidental.

Yvette Hulvey, 63, was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene. Daryl Hulvey, 68, suffered no injuries.

The two-story wood-frame house, which was built in 1896, suffered “heavy fire damage,” but no property damage estimate has been made yet, Ferguson said.

A GoFundMe crowdfunding campaign was launched at about 8 p.m. on Wednesday to raise $10,000 for the Hulveys. It can be found at under “Help for the Hulvey Family.”

The Shenandoah County Department of Fire and Rescue posted an alert on its Facebook page Wednesday morning warning county residents that gusting winds, low humidity and low fuel moisture could increase the threat of fires.

More news

Subscribe to our mailing list
Twitter  FaceBook  RSS