House fire results in fatality

The Shenandoah Valley-Herald

BASYE — The Shenandoah County Fire Marshal said a cigarette caused a house fire that killed a man on Feb. 4.

David Ferguson said county fire and rescue personnel received word of the fire at 490 Holly Ridge Road, about three miles south of Basye, at about 1:30 p.m.

Ferguson said first responders found William Wright, 56, dead in the house when they arrived. The cause of death wasn’t available.

Ferguson said the fire destroyed the house, which was valued at about $61,000. He said an investigation points to an improperly discarded cigarette as the cause of the blaze, but that must still be confirmed.

“We’re still finishing the process of the investigation,” he said.

Ferguson said Wright was the only person home during the fire.

More news

Subscribe to our mailing list
Twitter  FaceBook  RSS